Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

The Timeless Heart of the Ghazals

From the start, it seemed obvious that reading the ghazals would be a uniquely challenging endeavor.  In order to truly understand the intentions and deeper meanings that the authors would have to convey, I would have to learn to submerge myself into a world entirely unlike the one which I am familiar with.  The art of the Ghazal was born, and in many ways still inhabits, a domain that is seemingly entirely alien to my own, it was my challenge to overcome this barrier.
At first, it seemed impossible.  The design and structure of the Ghazal is intrinsically different from the poetic styles that I am use to.  It was difficult to overcome my natural inclination to search for overarching connections between couplets, for example.
In the end, however, the poets themselves were my greatest allies.  For although they may build their works with references to events and experiences centuries away from my own, the fundamental core of their works exhibit a timeless quality.  The revolutionary nature of Faiz, for example, can be appreciated regardless of the readers time period.  Although the structure may differ wildly from what I'm use to, the heart and soul of the Ghazal is all too familiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment