Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

First Introduction to the Ghazals

What I found most captivating about the ghazals was the accessibility of the concepts. As Professor Dasgupta stated in her comment on one of Mir's ghazal concerning humility and gratitude to God, ghazals often deal with the predicament of man. That thread seeming to connect many of the ghazals makes them so applicable to all cultures and times. The fact that they can stand alone in couplets and be remembered and quoted simply like a song chorus but still convey a unique idea makes them even more appealing. The subtle truths of the ghazals are striking and understated and I believe that is what makes them so beautiful. I  really liked Ghalib's words when he writes, "The world exists only in name, Illusory-All material things". The particular ghazal in its entirety provides an existentialist question, a theme I have always found captivating in literature throughout history and the ghazal's depiction of it was both captivating and beautiful. I very much enjoyed reading the ghazals and was so surprised by their beauty, accessibilty, and impressive and undeniable universal applicability.

1 comment:

  1. I also found Ghazals interesting because I had never even heard of them before this class. The themes behind them were as you said, very universal, which is neat because that means the class is succeeding in integrating literature I can relate to but am not at all familiar with.

    ReplyDelete