Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Interpreting Crocodiles and Sunlight in Ghalib

I love poetry. I grew up with an angsty devotion to Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton, and I've traveled to poetry festivals, sitting in churches, cross-legged in the grass, or in a packed auditorium, to hear contemporary poets bare their souls. But, ghazals are completely alien to me. Between my initial ignorance of their historical background and translation difficulties, my first reading of the daunting, hefty packets was cloudy at best.

But, I do know that I love the more traditional ghazals when everyone is drunk on the beloved, threatening death induced by unrequited love, and living in a world of burning tapers and scented locks where the heart is the hub of the universe. One of my favorites is a piece by Ghalib that begins "It takes an age for a sigh to bear fruit,/ Who lives long enough to vanquish your locks?/ A hundred crocodiles lie coiled in the web of every wave,/ See what happens to the droplet ere it becomes a pearl." I love the diction- crocodiles, pearl,  dew-drop, twinkling, glamour, glimmer, spark, taper, burn. Even as Asad speaks about the futile nature of pursuing a woman who is slow to reciprocate his love in a lifespan that is already so brief (I think), the poem is filled with images of light. "The reflection of the sun heralds the dew-drop's doom,/ I too await your kindly glance." She is the Sun, the burning, life-bearing, center of his world. He is a minuscule, vulnerable droplet. Simultaneously, this ephemeral moment- how long dew survives before the Sun dries the earth, mirrors the impatience of desire and the briefness of life.

I'd love to know if anyone else had an entirely different interpretation of this poem!

4 comments:

  1. ooh.... your reading touches my heart for sure. I see a potential paper topic on images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also if you want to hear what it sounds like when sung:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zDmAfXS9yM&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful! I searched ghazals on Tumblr to find inspiration before writing my own for the paper, and I came across this gem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ZyU98N3Fk

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favorite-est ghazals. And Shankar Tucker has been blowing me away with his arrangements of traditional India music and his clarinet playing. I am actually subscribed to his youtube channel! I am so excited you discovered this on your own. The most famous rendition of this ghazal is, by the way, by Farida Khanum. You have no idea how many of us live and die by this one song :)The arrangement here is simple; the musical accompaniments are the harmonium, tabla and saranagi (and the "wah wah" of the listeners of course).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqbbILfdw94

    ReplyDelete