Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Simplicity

J.M. Coetzee's Disgrace had a few messages in it that were shadowed by David Lurie's sexual mishaps and of course the rape.  I found his daughter Lucy to have the best view on life and it reminded me not to take things too seriously.  On page 74, she is having a conversation with David talking about "higher life" and she kind of rips him a new one.  
"But it is true.  They (Bev and Bill shaw) are not going to lead me to a higher life, and the reason is, there is no higher life.  This is the only life there is.  Which we share with animals.  That's the example that people like Bev try to set.  That's the example i try to follow.  To share some of our human privilege with the beasts.  I don't want to come back in another existence as a dog or a big and have to live as dogs or pigs live under us."
I'm not talking about the animals really, I just liked the quote because it displayed her simple look on life.  Throughout the novel David Lurie makes things so complicated with his sexual affairs and his over thinking.  He really gets hung up on things and calls himself a disgrace, meanwhile his daughter is working with what she has in order to achieve happiness.  Although it seems a little absurd that she wouldn't go to the authorities after being raped, it sort of ties into her whole outlook on life.  She tries not to dwell on the past and works with what is given to her, so going to the police would be counterproductive and that sort of justifies her lack of action.  I feel her simple outlook on life is the perfect contrast to her dad's complicated one, which makes for a nice balance in the story.  

5 comments:

  1. I too felt the same way, that Lucy looked at life and took it in strides. She definitely had a positive outlook, that she couldn't change her life so why fight it. But I did feel that Coetzee making her this way, in the aspect of rape, made him look like he was taking the easy way out. Rape and robberies were a serious problem during post-apartheid, and I can't help but think that had he wrote it with a little more passion, and want to change things he could have made a statement. Rather then let such a horrific part of what was happening in their country simply just go past as, something they cannot change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting but I feel that Lucy has other reasons for not telling people about her rape, more that she is trying to avoid the race issue, they are sending a message that white farmers are not in power here anymore and for that reason she does not see any reason to bring up what is a pointless conflict

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I agree that Lucy is less obsessive than David, there is more complicated reasoning behind her not wanting to take action against her rapists or leave the farm. On page 161 Lucy says, "‘Yes, the road I am following may be the wrong one. But if I leave the farm now I will leave defeated, and will taste that defeat for the rest of my life,'” (Coetzee 161). Lucy is afraid to take action against the perpetrators because she fears that she will end up dwelling on the past if she does leave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Manny and Brian. There is a deeper reasoning behind Lucy's behavior and her decision to marry Petrus and stay on the farm. Besides not complicating things further, marrying Petrus while staying on the farm is a compromise of getting protection while staying near the place that was so dear to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as some wisdom can be found in her outlook on life and its simplicity. I feel that is also almost depressing and gives off a defeated feeling. I can relate to the equating humans with animals. I feel like that is respectful and humble logic and is admirable of Lucy but I also acknowledge that much of it probably comes from the fact that what she has seen of life has not been the best example. For example, a life with little meaning and her father's animalistic and empty sexuality. Lurie definitely does not represent human sentiment well.

    ReplyDelete