Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Persepolis


            I enjoyed reading the novel Persepolis.  I enjoyed the comic book style it was written in, and that it was written from a child’s perspective.  It was a nice way to learn about the Islamic Revolution, an event that was so serious, but yet as a reader I was able to learn about the event in history without seeing or reading too much violence.  I like to learn about history but I do not like the violence that I have to read or see in order to become more educated.  That is hwy this novel was refreshing to read. 

            I thought it was interesting to see how throughout the novel Satrapi wanted to be more American and modern-like even though the people who were in power in her country wanted her to be more Islamic and conservative.  She did not want to wear the long dresses and the veil over her head and face.  She wanted to wear jeans, a t-shirt, sneakers, nail polish, have posters of Michael Jackson, etc. 

            My favorite part of the novel is when she was stopped by the Guardians of the Revolution, the Women’s Branch for wearing American/modern clothing.  I do not like that she was stopped because I am all for wearing what you want and not getting in trouble for it.  But, I like that Satrapi did not get into the trouble that she could have gotten into for wearing what she wanted to wear (Satrapi 132).  Satrapi was wearing all of the ‘bad’ things such as nike sneakers, skinny jeans, a jean jacket, and a Michael Jackson pin.  Her scarf was not even on correctly and she still did not get into much trouble (Satrapi 133)! 

            My ultimate favorite part is when she went straight home right after this incident and put on the song We’re the Kids in America (Satrapi 134).  I like this part because she was a child, innocent, but she knew what she wanted to do.  And she did not conform just because the law wanted her to be a certain way.  She risked getting in trouble by the law, but still did what she wanted to do regardless! 

2 comments:

  1. Coming from the perspective of a child, the novel really does take on a different meaning. The reader is following a child’s loss of innocence. Through this novel we are also seeing a split of class. Yes, part of the reason she listens to the music is because she is not allowing the Revolution to overtake her and just go with the flow (for the lack of a better saying). I would also argue that she listens to the music because she is of a higher class. What is affecting the lower class is not affecting her in the same way. The reader definitely sees this divide throughout the entire novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your statement that it is a compelling aspect of the story that we get to see Marji's perspective as a child. It makes the story captivating and is what makes her relatable. What I think is the most endearing and lovable quality we can relate to from this perspective is her innocennt enthusiasm as the audience gets to watch her experience things in her purity. The scene you mentioned when she listens to We Are the Kids in America I think displays that.

    ReplyDelete