Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Candide's Desensitization

Candide leads the reader through very violent experiences. The novel is full of rape and murders. When I first read the novel I was upset in the way in which Voltaire was using and manipulating the bodies of many of his characters. After listening to the discussions in class and rereading parts of the novel I decided that Voltaire was creating a critique. When the reader reads this novel physical abuse these characters go through becomes almost normal. You get desensitized to the pure nature of this violence. Although, Voltaire wrote this novel in 1759, we can use what he is saying as a critique for modern day. Towards the end of the novel an old woman says, “I should like to know which is worse: to be raped a hundred times by negro pirates, and have a buttock cut off, and run the gauntler of the Bulgars, and be flogged and hanged in an auto-da-fe, and be dissected, and have to row in a galley –in short, to undergo all the miseries we have each of us suffered or simply to sit here and do nothing?” (91). She mentions all of these horrific events and asks the questions of going through them or being bored. It is astonishing. These violent actions have become a part of everyday life for these characters. I think the same can be said for today’s world. The amount of wars that are being faught, the video games that are out there, the violence on television, these things and more are desensitizing our culture in the same way Candide’s culture was desensitized. Is there are going to be a day when a woman may want to be “raped a hundred times” instead of being bored because that is what she is used to.

I know I am being a bit dramatic but it is an interesting thought.

4 comments:

  1. I must admit that I was fairly unphased by all of the horrible things that happened in Candide. I have a morbid/sarcastic sense of humor (if you haven't been able to tell from my previous posts) so the sheer absurdity of all of the horrible things that happened made me immune to the atrocity of them. I really like your what you said about the modern day "atrocities" it is definitely an interesting thought. What really caught my attention though was the picture you used! I saw it and literally cringed! I was like, "this is so wrong!" I really like how directly it relates to Candide too, it makes it so much more real-life and disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand what you are saying. I have a very dry and more morbid/very sarcastic sense of humor but something about the treatment of these issues in this novel really got to me. I do not know what it was about this book that got to me, but it did. I saw the picture and I said to myself that it was perfect for what I was writing about. IT really drives my point home!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I think this is a really interesting connection that you've made here. While I was reading Candide, I wasn't completely desensitized to the level of violence in the text but I definitely agree with your point. The old woman's question was quite disturbing to me, and demonstrated that all that has happened has made her relatively numb. When someone is exposed to these levels of violence in our world (and in the fictional one Voltaire had created) it is possible for anyone to become relatively desensitized to the horrible atrocities that happen around them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, but I keep thinking to myself (in an odd way), can anyone really get desensitized to being raped? I just cannot even imagine it. To me it is a very disturbing thought.

      Delete