Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Faust and Plato


There is a scene in Faust where Faust is alone and thinking about how Mephistopheles has given him Gretchen.  Faust blames Mephistopheles for giving him new knowledge and hope that has affected who he was. I found this similar to the Allegory of the Cave and how knowledge that affects our perception of reality can be damaging, not helpful.  The line that jumped at me the most was on page 90, “You lead me to the cavern refuge, show my own self to me, and of my own breast the secret deep-laid miracles unfold. And when before my gaze the limpid moon ascends and, soothing, wafts across, there rise from rocky cliffs, from out the moisty foliage the silver shapes of some anterior age and milden contemplation’s joy austere.”  If you are not familiar with Plato’s Allegory of the Cave here’s a summary. (Also put a video of it if you don’t feel like reading) While the “lead me to the cavern refuge” should be leading him from the cavern not to it, the “show my own self to me, and of my own breast the secret deep-laid miracles unfold” part applies.  In the Allegory of the Cave the prisoner is led out of the cave and discovers what his world really is, he learns what his body is capable of and how everything he thought is only a reflection of reality.  In this scene Faust is realizing what has truly happened to him and who he has become, how Mephistopheles has changed him.  He sees his “true self” and understands that he cannot go back, cannot unlearn these truths.  He also does not want to, even though this new knowledge has ostracized him as it did the prisoner, the thought of going back to such a false existence is unimaginable.  Although it does not happen in this scene in the book, the movie we watched had another scene that mirrors the Allegory of the Cave.  When the people in the street realize Faust has joined with the devil they attempt to stone him. Similarly, in the Allegory of the Cave when the prisoner returns he is seen as an outsider and the others consider killing him for the radical ideas he brought back.  While the connection is not the clearest, the first thing I thought of when I read this passage was the Allegory of the Cave so this was my thought process. Anyone have a different interpretation? 

1 comment:

  1. I like this interpretation. I studied philosophy at my old college. I never thought about connecting the allegory of the cave to Faust, but now that I have seen you have done it...it works! It is true that Faust was in the cave when he was trying to figure out how to cure the plague that was killing his town. When he made a pact with the devil he started to come out. Then when Faust started to learn more of what the devil could do with his powers is the dangerous part. It makes you think is it worth it coming out of the cave sometimes...what do you think?

    ReplyDelete