Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Bimala and Amulya's Friendship: The Discovery of Sandip's True Character

In my opinion, Amulya and Bimala's relationship definitely demonstrates the effect that Swadeshi movement may have had on real citizens of Bengal.  Amulya particularly functions to represent the sweeping nature that the Swadeshi movement had on Bengali youth in the way that he was captivated with Sandip's character, and the resulting devotion that he felt towards the Cause and his country.  Bimala however, functions to represent a more complex idea of being pulled in two directions- she feels the sway of agreeing with the cause of the movement under Sandip's influence, but there is always Nikhil's opinion that lingers in the background throughout the story.  I was happy when Bimala came to realization of Sandip's true character on pg 141 when she reflects to herself "The snake-charmer had come pretending to draw this snake from within the fold of my garment- but it was never there, it was his all the time.  Some demon has gained possession of me, and what I'm doing today is the play of his activity- it has nothing to do with me".  But even after her realization, Bimala still yields and gives Sandip the money. Her action here initially confused me because it was the complete opposite to what I thought she should have done based on her realization  a chapter earlier.  However, when she professes her reasoning for why she does so on pg. 154, I understand her action.  She states "When I hear Sandip's words uttered by this boy, I tremble all over...Sandip is right when he suspects that though I, for myself may be ready to die at his hands, this boy I shall wean from him and save."  It is clear that through Amulya, Bimala realizes the harmful effect Sandip has had on him and other Bengali youth when she hears them naively follow Sandip's ruthless teachings.  She therefore vows to protect Amulya even if it means sacrificing herself in the process.  Amulya similarly realizes Sandip's true character in the way takes advantage of Bimala's willingness to give him the money on pg 171 when he admits Sandip selfishly gloats over it when he is away from her. 

I think these incident in the novel not only reveals a reversal in these characters perception of Sandip, it also demonstrates the reversal in point of view on the Swadeshi movement.  Since Sandip is essentially a symbolic character for the movement itself, the reversal acts a convention in which Tagore demonstrates that the movement may be initially alluring and progressive (like Sandip early in the novel),  but there are several problematic components to the movement- which is demonstrated through Sandip's character/actions towards the end of the novel.

 A still from the movie adaptation to The Home  and the World

1 comment: